Monday, August 10, 2009

Come Hell or High Water.

Theo does not get my love for Deadliest Catch. I guess it is kind of a quirky interest, but what fascinates me is how many people are obsessed with it. You can't just like it- you become consumed by it.

For some reason every summer I end up spending a week on the couch watching Deadliest Catch while hours of my life fall away. But it's worth it.

My favorite episodes always end up being the "behind the scenes" ones where they do the stories about the cameramen and crew interactions. This past season's was awesome, and I've been meaning to write on it for a while.

They called him Mouse. This slight, bright eyed, busy-tailed kid named Josh Silberman who comes on to the Cornelia Marie as a producer was the story of the season. He was so excited, so determined, but horribly seasick the entire time.

He still came out, and was filming, determined to get epic shots even though he could barely stand in the best of circumstances. He wrote a blog about his experiences for Discovery Channel Online, and here's what he said:

I worked on deck of the Cornelia Marie for an outstanding 64 days straight. We didn't have a day off, eight hours of sleep or a peaceful moment in those 64 days, and hence I feel 20 years older, weathered and hungry, and I'm using words like hence. I started this show excited for the experience then I got seasick and vomited about 15 times a day. It was hell on earth and the vomiting lasted all the way up until there were four days left in the season, when I made a miraculous turnaround and haven't thrown up again yet! I must say the IV, five kinds of pills, acupuncture or just time worked; I mean, at least one of the 7 things worked...I've knocked myself out against a pole and tried to keep standing but collapsed to my knees instead. I've tripped, fallen and stumbled in this perpetually moving world for 64 days, and I couldn't have been more honored or excited to have been a part of it.

No way would I ever have this kind of heart. I was almost in tears watching this thing- he's like the Rudy of the Bering Sea. Even Captain Phil Harris was impressed with him, which is...the coolest thing ever. You fans know. His sons were also big Mouse fans, and those close to me know how inexplicably in love with Jake and Josh Harris I am. Only fellow fan Claire from aWAKEnings understands. Mostly Jake though. He has the best lines, like:

"You're an f***ing hottie with a naughty body," to his dad after he shaved his beard. These boys are classy. And then there was the time he bought a flat screen tv with his dad's credit card...and didn't tell him. Oh yeah, and when he pulled out his tooth with a pair of pliers. Badass.

No idea what's wrong with me, except...well, he's funny, sarcastic, but hardworking and diligent. He's practically the template for a literary leading man. Or now that I write that, he kind of sounds like Gordo from Lizzie McGuire. Scratch that.

Anyways, the point of this is Josh "Mouse" Silberman and how honestly inspirational he is. Kind of annoying, but you've got to give him credit- it's Rudy, I'm telling you. I've been trying my damnedest to find a clip of him, but no luck.

However, I've attached below a clip of the Harris boys from Larry King. Love what Jake is wearing. Enjoy.

-CE


3 comments:

  1. i remember when he bought that tv! what a hilarious episode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and have you seen the previews for that new show? i can't remember the name but i think it's called deadliest sword-it's about sword fisherman and looks pretty good. check it out, holmes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did see that! I'm not sure how I feel about it though- it feels like it's for sport or something. I don't know. I feel bad for fish, but have no compassion for crabs really. No idea what that's about.

    I'm sure I'll check out the show, but it just can't compare. Like that Whale Wars show- just not the same.

    ReplyDelete