Friday, September 18, 2009

Best thing in SC

I love Vogue. Courters already said it, but I finally have my SEPTEMBER ISSUE!! 584 pages of perfection. So stoked, I've taken in its amazing fragrance and read a couple of article. The one that stuck out the most was a story about Jenny Sanford.



Jennifer Sanford isn't really a household name, but you may know her husband - Mark Sanford, Governor of South Carolina. Maybe, more specifically, the politician that disappeared in late June from a hiking trip only to come back and admit to having an affair with an Argentinean woman.

But, the article was not about his sleaziness, but her handling of the crappy situation. Jenny, in no way, bashes her husband, but says, "none of us are perfect." The article, titled Notes on a Scandal, refers to a previous press release issued by Jenny weeks after the news broke. Personally, I found what she said very eloquent and sincere:

We reached a point where I felt it was important to look my sons in the eyes and maintain my dignity, self-respect, and my basic sense of right and wrong. I therefore asked my husband to leave two weeks ago.

I believe enduring love is primarily a commitment and an act of will, and for a marriage to be successful, that commitment must be reciprocal. I believe Mark has earned a chance to resurrect our marriage.

Psalm 127 states that sons are a gift from the Lord and children a reward from Him. I will continue to pour my energy into raising our sons to be honorable young men. I remain willing to forgive Mark completely for his indiscretions and to welcome him back, in time, if he continues to work toward reconciliation with a true spirit of humility and repentance.

This is a very painful time for us and I would humbly request now that members of the media respect the privacy of my boys and me as we struggle together to continue on with our lives and as I seek the wisdom of Solomon, the strength and patience of Job and the grace of God in helping to heal my family.

The statement was longer, but these are truly the parts that struck me. Usually, I'd say. Don't be an idiot. Dump him and never let him back in. But, she gracefully says 'I deserve to be treated better than this.' And, I can always respect a woman that knows that. Jenny and her four sons (ranging from 17 to 10 years old) have moved out of the Governor's mansion.

-TM

Photo Source

No comments:

Post a Comment