Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Along for Another Ride Again with Dessen


Be Warned, Slight Spoilers Ahead:



I love Sarah Dessen and until I finished her most recent book, Along for the Ride, about twenty minutes ago she was my favorite author.

Sarah has fallen into a bad case of what Court and I have referred to as the Stephanie Meyers, she works one great plot. Though in Sarah's defense Stephanie Meyer cannot write and falls asleep at night hoping to wake up as Bella Swan.
Anyways. Dessen's gotten lazy- I was waiting for Auden (the main character) to push her new, slightly alienated, beau, Eli, away. Then, I waited for the appearance of a character from another book and after that, I really wasn't sure why I was still reading.

So, I devised this list.

You know when you're reading a book by Sarah Dessen, when:
  • the main character has an off beat name, and feels the need to explain it
  • there is character from another Dessen book
  • the last chapter is set a few months into the future with everyone content/happy with their current situation
  • the main character always learns to do something- swim or ride a bike
I'm still working on it, but I think this is a good start.

Maybe, she peaked after Just Listen, but I'm just sayin...

I suggest Megan McCafferty's Sloppy First and that series.

-TM

No comments:

Post a Comment