Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Oh Honey.

Theo and I love The Housewives, of all cities, but we especially love the Atlanta housewives. No one cares about Orange County. The New York girls are interesting, but at the end of the day, kind of annoying, but not so annoying that it's interesting.

Then of course, there are the New Jersey wives. They, are of course, totally enthralling to watch, because they are completely insane. Plus there are some awesome catch phrases that have come from them, especially Joe, Teresa's husband: "Happy wife, happy life," or when Teresa asks him if he 'just loves' their new couch and he says, "It's a couch, why would I love a couch?"

So true Joe. So true.

Anyways, the Atlanta Housewives are the perfect mix of insane, bitchy, catty, materialistic and all the other things that make up this unique brand of show. Theo and I's favorite character, bar none? NeNe. Wait- you don't know about NeNe? Let me school you really quickly, NeNe is the glue that holds the rest of the housewives together, the girl who doesn't care what anyone has to say and always has a quick retort handy. She tells it like it is. Example: She told Kim that she was a terrible singer. She was being nice- Kim is the worst brand of American Idol reject.

Here is another reason why the Atlanta girls, NeNe in particular, are better than the rest: NeNe, in her new book Never Make the Same Mistake Twice tells about how she started out as a stripper. She didn't wait for another mysterious book (guardi- il libro!) to come out like "Danielle" on New Jersey. She's also not "oh poor me"-ing it like Danielle did.

NeNe had just ended her relationship with the father of her eldest son, Brice, and she was living with her son and a roommate. “My son was in private school, his father wasn’t chipping in for pull-ups or food, I had no job and no money coming in, the rent was past due, and the super told me and my roommate that our condo owner was about to put us out, so I did what I had to do.”

NeNe has an unusual and positive way of viewing her days at an upscale strip club, where she went by the name of "Silk". “I felt powerful in front of those men,” she writes. “They were obviously there to see what I had, and I quickly realized that those men weren’t there to make me feel bad about myself. Quite the contrary,” she continues. “They were there to make me feel good.”

Does NeNe regret her past? Not at all. She calls the experience “the ultimate power trip,” saying that it built up her self-esteem. “With every piece of clothing I took off, the more I got my life back,” she writes. “I worked this body like a well-oiled machine, and every movement got me closer to my goal of financial independence for me and my child.”

Not sure how I feel about this. I guess, I'm just going to report, no judgement. I always love NeNe. This really doesn't affect me one way or the other, except to think, you go girl.

Go to 2:30 and check out the most hilarious Housewife moment ever. And it didn't even happen on the show. Anderson Cooper tells you all you need to know about NeNe.
-CE

No comments:

Post a Comment